Launched September 2023 / Meets Every 3 Weeks
The purpose of the First Voice Indigenous Justice Action Circle (the “Action Circle”) is to promote, support, and coordinate work to advance priority Calls for Change specific to the legal community and other actors in the justice system in Newfoundland and Labrador. These priority Calls for Change include 6, 7, 35, 36, 37, 38, and 40.
- Human Rights Commission of Newfoundland and Labrador
- First Voice Community Advocate Lisa Smith.
- First Light St. John’s Friendship Centre
- Stella’s Circle
- St. John’s Status of Women Council
Scope of Work
The Action Circle’s Scope of Work includes the following:
- Developing and delivering justice-specific antiracism training in line with TRC 57;
- Expanding the availability and use of restorative justice programs;
- Researching effective policies and practices to reduce the over-incarceration of Indigenous people, including the use of Gladue reports in sentencing;
- Supporting the implementation of one or more Indigenous navigator positions within the criminal justice system; and
- Promoting greater understanding of, and alignment with, UNDRIP among actors in the justice system.
The following members are Contributor organizations:
- Department of Justice and Public Safety
- Flat Bay Band
- Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Legal Aid NL
- Newfoundland and Labrador Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre (NLSACPC)
- Nunatsiavut Government
- Public Legal Information Association of Newfoundland and Labrador (PLIAN)
- Public Prosecution Service of Canada
- Relationships First NL
- Serious Incident Response Team of Newfoundland and Labrador (SIRT-NL)
- The Journey Project
- Qalipu First Nation
The following members are individual Supporters:
Deliverables & Outcomes
The Action Circle is in the process of defining specific deliverables and outcomes that align with its Scope of Work.