We Are First Voice
Launched in 2019 by First Light in collaboration with Indigenous Services Canada, First Voice is a coalition of Indigenous Peoples, service providers, and all levels of government working together to advance truth and reconciliation in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador. Our work focuses on promoting and supporting local implementation of the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), the Calls for Justice of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG), and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP). Our name reflects the self-determining principle that meaningful action on urban Indigenous issues requires prioritizing the values, perspectives, and lived experiences of First Peoples.
We envision a world where the inherent rights of the Indigenous Peoples of Newfoundland and Labrador are respectfully recognized and actively supported by all.
We are guided by the following Values:
- Respect: A process of honouring the land, the waters, and all the peoples and cultures who inhabit it, including Indigenous knowledge and teachings.
- Self-Determination: An affirmation of the inherent right of all Indigenous Peoples to determine their own futures and to participate fully and actively in all decisions that affect them.
- Holism: A recognition of the essential interconnectedness of all things and a striving for balance and harmony with respect to the mind, body, and spirit.
- Collaboration: A commitment to include all voices and perspectives and to work together in an open and transparent way.
- Humility: A willingness to trust, engage with, and learn from those with diverse experiences and perspectives.