The purpose of the First Voice Standing Committee on Health and Wellness (“The Standing Committee”) is to promote, support, and coordinate systemic change related to health and wellness in the City of St. John’s. It has a particular focus on the following thematic areas:
- Improving the delivery of healthcare services;
- Strengthening cultural and security supports; and
- Revitalizing Indigenous languages and cultures.
Scope of Work
The Standing Committee shall pursue its purpose by working collaboratively to identify, define, and prioritize specific objectives to be included in the First Voice Community Action Plan 2021-30. It shall do so by drawing on the following documents:
- The Final Report of the #DecolonizeYYT Conference, held on November 5-6, 2020;
- Indigenous-led Community Action Plans that exist in other jurisdictions;
- The Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC);
- The Calls for Justice of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG); and
- The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).
The Standing Committee is led by the following Co-Chairs:
- Public Health Agency of Canada (Partner Co-Chair)
- Daphne March (Community Advocate Co-Chair)
Membership in the Standing Committee shall be determined by the First Voice Partnership Table, and shall consist at a minimum of one Partner Co-Chair and one Community Advocate Co-Chair. In addition, the Co-Chairs shall work in collaboration with the Partnership Table to ensure representation on the Standing Committee from the following organizations:
- First Light: St. John’s Friendship Centre
- City of St. John’s
- Eastern Health
- Memorial University
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Government of Canada
The Co-Chairs may invite additional organizations and community groups to participate in the work of the Standing Committee as needed.
The Standing Committee meets regularly on the second Monday of the month at 1:00pm, and as otherwise determined by the Co-Chairs.
Terms of Reference
The Standing Committee’s full Terms of Reference are available here.